Monday, March 8, 2010

Tyranid Hormagaunts and Weights

I recently finished painting up half a unit of Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands. With these first eight Hormagaunts, I was trying to work out the color scheme I would use for all of the similar sized creatures in my Tyranid army. It turned out a little more orange and not as red as I think I'd like, but otherwise they look okay. Here are some closeup pictures of one of them.

Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt

And here are a few pictures of all eight of them from this first batch. I'll do another eight to add to them to make a squad of 16 upgraded Hormagaunts.
Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt
Tyranid Hormagaunt

I'm sure fellow Tyranid players have noticed that these Hormagaunt miniatures don't balance very well. the combination of their poses leaning so far forward and them being light makes them tip over very easily. I was sick of my Hormagaunts falling all over each other all the time, and came up with a solution. I took some small lead weights (in this case scavenged from curtain weights), flattened them out a bit so they'd fit in the Hormagaunt bases, and cut them into squares. Then I glued one under the base of each Hormagaunt, near the back. You can see the results in the picture below.
Tyranid Hormagaunt base weights

That little piece of lead is all that's really needed to make these models much more stable. If you used bigger pieces you could probably make them impossible to tip over. If you don't have any curtain weights laying around, you could always buy any other kind of lead weight. Lead is very soft, so it is easy to flatten out and cut to the size you need.

2 comments:

  1. Good tip on the weights.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep bits of metal sprue in a little box for just this purpose. Worked with a hammer and a pair of clippers they can be made to fit any base and provide stability.

    ReplyDelete