Monday, July 27, 2009

Confederate 12-pounder Napoleon Battery

I recently finished painting up my first unit of Civil War Confederate artillery. More specifically, it is a battery of 12-pounder Napoleon guns. The figures are 10mm GHQ, and as always they are excellent miniatures.

The only problem I had with them is that the guy meant to be ramming a rod down the barrel isn't tall enough to do so. If he is mounted with the bottom of his base at the same level as the bottom of cannon, the ramrod isn't nearly high enough off the ground to be at the mouth of the barrel. It seems very strange to me that it would be designed this way. I corrected it by building up the base under that figure with some flat tooth picks. So it looks like both of those figures are standing on conveniently located bumps in the ground.

There are also a couple of figures (the guy I have pushing the wheel, and the guy just resting his hand on the cannon barrel) that I'm not sure what they are meant to be doing. I just made my best guess at where to put them, but I'm not sure if that is what they are intended to be doing. Anyway, here are some pictures of my completed battery.

Confederate Artillery Confederate Artillery Confederate Artillery Confederate Artillery Confederate Artillery Confederate Artillery

I also painted up a command stand with a generic artillery officer, not meant to represent any specific person. I'll need him for commanding the artillery batteries once I have more of them.
Confederate Artillery Officer Confederate Artillery Officer Confederate Artillery Officer Confederate Artillery Officer Confederate Artillery Officer Confederate Artillery Officer

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. Never seen an artillery piece with the tube actually getting loaded. Nice close up too.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. the guy "pushing" holding the wheel was to slow down the recoil as the piece was fired helped get it back into position sooner.

    the one resting his hand may have been pulling the lanyard although he would be a little farther back.

    the poses are good but not consistent with all actions happening at the same time but it could sort of be. the lanyard wouldnt go in when they were ramming home a new charge or sponging the barrel. the wheel "holder" was right after the piece was fired. But the painting and stands are great. I am starting on the same army and campaigns and keep going over your site for inspiration on what can be done with 10mm GHQ

    Joel

    ReplyDelete