Monday, May 25, 2009

6 Months of Adventures in Miniature Gaming

Today, the 25th of May, marks the 6 month anniversary of the start of this blog. November 25th, 2008 was the date of my first post. To mark the occasion, I thought I'd write a little retrospective, looking back on what I've accomplished in the hobby in the past 6 months, and highlighting some of the notable blog posts I've made.

Many of my early posts were mostly pictures of miniatures I had previously painted. Some for Warhammer Fantasy:
Vampire Counts Army
Vampire Counts Grave Guard
Empire Cannon and Crew
Empire Master Engineer
Empire Handgunners
Vampire Counts Fell Bats
Vampire Counts Ghouls
Warhammer Fantasy Terrain

And some for Warhammer 40,000:
Tyranid Army
Tyranid Gargoyles
Thousand Sons
Chaos Space Marine Vehicles

The most significant development in my miniature gaming hobby in the past six months was getting into historical miniature gaming. I had never gotten into the historical side of the miniature gaming hobby before, having mostly played Games Workshop games, so it was completely new to me. To help other people who are interested in historical gaming but don't know where to start, I chronicled my initial investigations into this new area in a three part post:
My Introduction to Historical Wargaming: Part 1
My Introduction to Historical Wargaming: Part 2
My Introduction to Historical Wargaming: Part 3

Over the following few months, I started painting up 10mm Union and Confederate American Civil War forces. Since then, I have finished 5 regiments of infantry, one regiment of cavalry, both a mounted version and a dismounted version, a battery of heavy artillery, and some command stands for the Union force, and two infantry regiments for the Confederate force. I posted pictures of all of them as they were completed.
Union Infantry Brigade
Union Heavy Artillery Battery
Union Division Command Stand
Union Dismounted Cavalry Regiment
Union Cavalry Brigade Command
Confederate Infantry Regiment

Along the way, I already wrote up several helpful painting tutorials on how I went about painting my 10mm Civil War miniatures.
Painting 10mm Union Cavalry Horses
Painting 10mm Union Cavalry Riders
Painting 10mm Confederate Infantry

After mostly finishing the Union forces, I got to play my first historical miniatures wargame, using a set of rules called Field of Battle. I took plenty of pictures, and wrote up a battle report for it. Also, my opponent in the game wrote up a great fictional account of the battle.
Battle of Prescott's Mill - Battle Report
Battle of Prescott's Mill - Story

As a minor diversion from all the American Civil War stuff I was working on, I spent a little time dabbling in 10mm Great War/World War One miniatures. I wrote a review of the Warhammer Historical Great War rules, a review (with plenty of pictures) of Pendraken's line of 10mm Great War miniatures, and a couple of painting tutorials, one for British and one for Germans.
Great War Posts

I also tried my hand at making some terrain that would work for my 10mm miniatures. I hadn't done much in the way of terrain making before, so my attempts at creating rocky features and custom hills were definitely a learning experience.
Terrain Making

In the past few months, I have also been posting the storylines and battle reports from a couple of campaigns I participated in previously that were a lot of fun. The Attraignnor IV Campaign, a Warhammer 40,000 campaign pitting Chaos Space Marines against Tau in the battered ruins of a planetary capitol city, and the Warhammer Fantasy worldwide Nemesis Crown campaign.
Attraignnor IV Campaign
Nemesis Crown Campaign

Looking back on it, I think it's not a bad start for my blog. Over 60 posts in 6 months. And I got a lot accomplished on my 10mm American Civil War project, while still working on some other interesting things. I hope you have all enjoyed the posts so far, and found some of them useful and entertaining. If you have any suggestions on what you'd like to read about on my blog or how I could make it better, don't hesitate to leave a comment and let me know. I'll try to make the next 6 months of posts even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment