Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Small Scale Trees

I bought a pack of Woodland Scenics ready made trees. They come in different sizes and colors. The pack I got was mixed green colors, from 3/4" to 2" tall. They have a chart on the package to equate these sizes to the equivalent sizes in various scales. For N scale (roughly equivalent to 10mm miniatures, which I planned to use these trees with), the sizes equate to between 10' and 27'.

The trees I used can be found here. Woodland Scenics also makes many other varieties of trees, some of which can be seen here.

I based the trees one or two to a 3/4" or 1" square thin metal base. The additional weight of a metal base, as opposed to wood, helps keep the trees from tipping over if they are bumped or when they are positioned on the side of a hill. I took some pictures of the finished based trees on hills next to some 10mm GHQ American Civil War miniatures, to give an idea of the size of the trees in comparison. The pictures also show a couple of the hills I made recently, so you can see how they compare in size to the 10mm miniatures. You can read about how I made the hills here.

Trees Trees Trees Trees Trees Trees Rocks Rocks Trees Trees Trees Trees

No comments:

Post a Comment