Wednesday, February 4, 2009

10mm Scale Split Rail Fences

I discovered recently while playing my first historical wargame (a game of Field of Battle set in the American Civil War using 10mm miniatures) that I have very little terrain that works for 10mm scale miniatures. So I need to start working on some 10mm scale terrain to use in my historical gaming. It seems like fences, corn and wheat fields, hills, woods, and orchards are some of the most common terrain features to have been found on American Civil War battlefields. So those are the things I will start with.

First up, I decided to make some split rail fences. I figured they would be fairly easy and inexpensive to make. I bought a box of flat toothpicks and cut some of them in half. Then I stacked the small pieces up like a split rail fence, gluing down the pieces a row or two at a time onto a large popsicle stick. Once it all dried, I painted the fence brown and painted and flocked the popsicle stick. That's all it took, and I have a quick and cheap split rail fence. Here are some pictures of the results.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And here are some pictures of the fence with a regiment of 10mm GHQ American Civil War Union miniatures.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment